Many aquarium hobbyists love to care different species tropical fish in one tank. The tank will be more colorful and varied.
Different species have different habitus and adapt different environment. Some fish are aggressive, while some fish are friendly. Some fish like alkalescency water, while some fish like faintly acid water.
Common problems you may occur
- Some species will keep bullying and chasing other fish. It may cause injury and easy to be infected.
- Some species are peaceful when they are juvenile, but as the fish growing, some species little by little disappear unconsciously. For example, angelfish and neon tetra coexist peacefully when they are juvenile. Usually, juvenile angelfish are about 5 to 7 cm long, they cannot swallow the neon tetra. But angelfish are omnivore, when they grow up, they will eat up the neon tetra without hesitation.
- Another problem is about reproduction. Some species may become aggressive in heat period, they will attack other fish to expand their territory. To protect your fish, you need to transfer the estrous fish to another tank.
For setting up a peaceful fish community tank, there are some rules and notices.
- Keep the fish in similar size, prevent small fish from being eaten by big fish.
- Don’t mix the fish that adapt different water type. Such as Lake Malawi blue cichlids and South America cichlids.
- Try to mix the mild species. Such as South America tetra and ratfish.
- Independently breed the species that like to eat other fish’s fin. Such as green puffer.
- Breed alone species that like infighting. For example, Siamese fighting fish, especially male fish like to fight with each other. But this is not harmful to other species.
The adult Asagi Koi are easy to recognize. The back is light blue or grey. The edge of every scale on back is white. You can distinguish every single scale clearly. The head is light blue or light yellow, while the face, belly, pectoral fins and pelvic fins are orange red.
The Japanese name Asagi, which comes from the color of juvenile Koi, means light yellow. The head and belly were light yellow when they were juvenile. The color of belly is the main mutation characteristic. It will develop from bottom as age. And this is one of the interesting points for raising Asagi. You will witness their growth and change.
Recently, my mini Koi pond has grown a lot of algae, the water turns green and it smells grassy. That seriously affects me to appreciate the little fish. So, I decide to clean up the pond.
Happy Mother’s Day ~ Panda
Max lift height is one of the primary performance metrics of submersible water pump. It means the maximum height that the pump can pump the water up to. So, the water flow rate will be ZERO at max lift height.
Another primary performance metric is max flow rate, it usually measured by “gallon per hour” (GPH). It doesn’t mean that the flow rate always be this value. The water flow rate gradually decreases with height. So, it will be max flow rate when lift height is ZERO.
In short, Flow and lift height are inversely related. Knowing this helps to choose the right fountain water pump.
How to choose the right pump?
For building an indoor, garden or pond fountain, safety is very important. Most fountains are working for 24hrs, the reliability of submersible water pump should be the primary consideration. Safety mechanism will be the bonus.
Dry burning is one of the primary enemy of safety. It may cause the power supply short circuited and fire in worst case.
What is dry burning?
Submersible water pump must work under water. Once the water flows away, the pump may expose, if the pump is still working, then it will be dry buring.
What is the danger of dry burning?
When you start setting up a fish tank, whether it is freshwater or saltwater, you need a submersible water pump to drive the filter system, or to creat water flow for the fish, or to help you do the waterchange.
One of the differences between saltwater and freshwater is that saltwater is corrosive to metals. When you plan to buy a submersible water pump for your saltwater aquarium tank, it is important to understand the durability of the products in saltwater. The key is whether any metal parts are exposed to saltwater when the pump is submerged.
For a well-made submersible water pump, the motor and the control circuit should be sealed by resin potting with good insulation property.
Fish enjoy flowing water and waves. It’s easy to make a waterfall on your Koi pond use BEST BUDS submersible pond pump. This pump has 400GPH strong power, and it can create flowing water and waves closer to the natural environment for your Koi.
|Max flow rate||400GPH|
|Max lift height||7ft|
|Feature||Interal overheating protection, adjustable flow rate, ceramic shaft|
|Water Type||Freshwater and Saltwater|
Products mentioned above
Showa Sanshoku (or Showa Sanke, abbreviation: Showa) have red, white and black three colors markings, which is the same as Taisho Sanke (abbreviation: Sanke). It is not difficult to distinguish the Showa and Sanke. Showa has black markings (called sumi) on the head, but Sanke does not; Showa’s sumi appear in dermis, and penetrate beyond epidermis, you can see some light black marking at the edge of sumi, and Sanke’s sumi show on the surface of epidermis; There are plane shape sumi on the base of Showa’s pectoral fin, while there is no sumi or only black stripes on Sanke’s pectoral fin.
Showa Koi got its name because it was born in Japan during the Showa Emperor (AD 1926 to AD 1989), in fact, it was born in 1927. Showa can be further distinguished to couple sub-varieties. Such as Classic Showa, Kindai Showa, and Boke Showa etc.